What You Can Expect to Pay a Moving Company
When it’s time for your next move, choosing the right moving company is a huge decision. You want to do your due diligence to find moving companies near you that offer the services you want for the best price.
If you’re just starting the moving process, you want to know how much you can expect to pay so you know which companies are offering reasonable prices and which you should avoid. Whether you’re moving locally or long distance, we have you covered with our guide to how much you can expect to pay for a move.
How Much Will Movers Cost?
Every move is different; therefore, the cost can fluctuate depending on your unique situation. The national average cost for a 2-3 bedroom move is $1,250 locally and $4,890 for long-distance moving.
The cost of your move can depend on a few factors:
- The size. More rooms and boxes can mean more movers and a higher price.
- The distance. The closer the move, the less it will cost. Typical local movers are going to charge by the hour, so the closer the local move, the cheaper it will be.
- The timing. Summer is peak moving season, and moves at the end of the month are typically more popular as well, leading to higher prices. Moving in the middle of the week and the middle of the month can help cut down on moving costs.
- Any specialty belongings or pets. Extra cars, motorcycles, grand pianos, or other bulky items can contribute to the overall cost. Pets that require cages or aquariums can also increase the price.
With those four factors in mind, here are some tips you can follow to save money during your move:
- Downsize. Get rid of any items you don’t need anymore. Host a yard sale, or donate items.
- Schedule the move early. By getting on the books at least a month in advance, you avoid any last-minute booking fees.
- Be deliberate about when you move. Timing is everything, and holidays, summers, and the end of the month or week are the more expensive times to move.
- Get multiple quotes. Doing your due diligence will ensure you get the best price and everything you’re looking for in your move.
- Ask to see a line-itemized quote. You’ll be able to spot hidden fees or any services you don’t need for your move.
When you’re ready to discover how much your move will cost, get your moving estimate from Doorage. Easily access your personalized moving quote online.
Local vs Long-Distance Moves
A local move is typically charged by the hour; the rate depends on the size of the move and how many movers are needed. Prices range from a studio apartment costing an average of $95 an hour to a five-bedroom home costing $199 an hour.
A long-distance move will vary depending on the distance and size of the home. For example, a one-bedroom move less than 50 miles can range from $400 to $600, whereas a four or five-bedroom home moving over 2,500 miles away could cost anywhere from $8,000 to $17,000.
With Doorage, a move throughout Metropolitan Chicago is considered a local move. If you’re moving outside the metropolitan area, your move is long-distance.
Do Movers Offer Packing and Unpacking Services?
Stop stressing about having to pack your life up and leave it to the experts to handle. Then when you arrive at your new home, you can sigh in relief while your movers set your new home up. With packing and unpacking services, moving is a breeze.
At Doorage, professional movers can take the stress of packing and unpacking off your shoulders. Our moving experts can pack everything safely and securely before moving you to your new home, where we will unpack everything just to your specifications.
Move Your Way With Doorage
We make moving easy, whether you’re moving within Chicago or out of state. Get your fast and free moving estimate and all the additional moving services you need for a stress-free moving experience. We never have hidden fees or aggressive tip seekers. Hire local and long-distance moving companies that can do it all.
Get your free moving estimate online now or by calling today!